INCLO, the Kenyan Human Rights Commission (KHRC) and the Legal Resource Center (LRC – South Africa) held an an online side-event at the ACHPR’s 68th Ordinary Session titled “Pandemics and Protest: A Review of the Right to Protest in Africa During COVID-19” on Thursday 15 April 2021.
The event focused on the specific challenges activists and civil liberties organizations have faced to uphold the right to protest throughout Africa during the ongoing COVID-19 crisis with a special focus on the experiences in Nigeria, Kenya and South Africa.
- Osai Ojigho, Country Director, Amnesty International, Nigeria.
- Martin Mavenjina, Kenya Human Rights Commission.
- Edwin Makwati, Legal Resources Centre, South Africa.
- Emerson Sykes, American Civil Liberties Union
- Michael Power, Adviser, International Network of Civil Liberties Organization (Moderator)